Trevor M. Miller, of Fairbanks, Alaska, died January 23. Michael and Linda Miller welcomed their first child into the world on the afternoon of Dec. 22, 1982, at Fairbanks Memorial Hospital. Their son, Trevor Michael Miller, was as unremarkable as any boy could possibly be.
Like most children growing up, Trevor didn’t want to be a cop, a fireman or a doctor. He, like most kids, wanted to be a Navy SEAL. Trevor knew that not “just anyone” could become a SEAL, so he created a training program at the age of 8.
On the weekends, he wasn’t fly fishing with his dad at Tangle Lakes, he was conditioning himself to be “a man.” He established a “headquarters” (which resembled a tree house his father built) and roamed through the woods, armed with advanced weaponry that wouldn’t even raise an eyebrow at a TSA checkpoint today. The numerous hours he spent in the woods led to Trevor’s love for shooting, and he became a skilled gunsmith who had an affinity and passion to teach others how to shoot.
Trevor followed in Mike’s and Linda’s footsteps and went to Lathrop High School (as did his younger sister, Tyler) and eventually graduated (far from the top of his class) in 2001. He briefly applied to be an Alaska State Trooper, and when asked, “How much have you stolen from your employers?” He answered, “Six dollars,” (a guesstimate for the worth of pens and paper clips he may have accidentally pocketed).
The desire for higher education came to Trevor and he had to make a choice. Naturally, Trevor refused to consider the “soft options” like Harvard or MIT. Instead, he applied and was accepted into The Citadel military school. Most people don’t seek a college known for extremely firm and cruel practices as part of the “curriculum,” but as “a man” Trevor welcomed the challenge.
By the end of his first semester, Trevor absolutely hated it. It was the worst time of his life up to that point. When Trevor came home for Christmas, he didn’t want to go back to school. Yet, when his parents gave him the option of dropping out, what did he do? He went back, naturally. Trevor was a fighter.
After freshman year, the rest was smooth sailing. He graduated from The Citadel in 2005 with a degree in political science, about the same time his passion for the military had diminished and his aptitude for politics took over. The very next day, Trevor hit the road in a “green, Pontiac piece of —-” toward Washington, D.C., and for nearly five years, served U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski as a legislative correspondent. He made his way back to his hometown at the end of 2009.
In summer 2014, Trevor’s toughest challenge came from the death of his and Tyler’s father, Mike. Through time, support and heartache, Trevor’s laugh emerged once again.
Trevor’s dream was born in March 2016. While at HooDoo, enjoying a beer or two (36 ounces, to be exact) with his mom and best friend, Nicholas Coleman, they spent a small fortune on three small pizzas from a vendor. Trev looked around and said, “People are overthinking vendor food; all you need to do is sell hot dogs!” That simple statement catapulted Trev and Nick into immediate action. That very same night, a hot dog cart was on its way to Fairbanks. Between the Buns is an incredibly successful food cart, and through the process, Trev and Nick had an amazing time while making the most incredible friends along the way (not to mention selling the best damn hot dogs in Alaska).
That summer quickly became the greatest year of Trevor’s life. He had found his niche, he was a “master chef” (which he loved); he loved that cart and loved working with his best friend, Nick. For anyone who previously knew Trevor, or met him along the way of his entrepreneurial hot dog emporium journey, it was apparent Trevor was genuinely happy. There are few people who could have truly enjoyed life as much as Trevor did – he was at peace, loved his work, and loved his family and friends – which was apparent from his radiating smile, creative jokes and contagious laughter. Not only will his family and friends desperately miss Trev, many frequent flyers at HooDoo and Lavelle’s Taphouse will also miss seeing him manning the cart.
Trevor enjoyed grilling, hanging out with friends and spending time with family. He absolutely adored his nieces, Hope Riley and Andie Lynn, who, in return, loved him to bits. Hope and Andie will always remember their “TT.” Trevor was the epitome of a “cool uncle,” as well as a caring son and brother.
Trevor could find humor in anything and loved to laugh. Many people suffered from “Giggle-Induced Abdominal Pain (GAP)” simply from being around him. Trevor was usually laughing while he tried getting his next joke out. He created such an enjoyable atmosphere, which usually excused him for being a Seahawks fan.
Trevor was exceptionally humble and would often poke fun at himself before anyone else had the chance. He never bragged about his accomplishments and merely wore his graduation ring from The Citadel with silent pride as he used it to open beers.
Sadly, Trevor Michael Miller passed away Jan. 23, 2017, at the age of 34 – far too young for a person of his energy and character.
Trevor will be remembered by his loving mother, Linda Miller; sister, Tyler Sloger; brother-in-law, Ryan Sloger; nieces, Hope and Andie; many aunts, uncles and cousins, best friend Nicholas Coleman, his Citadel brothers and an entourage of people that had the honor of calling him a friend.
A service for Trevor will start at 11 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 4, at Lavelle’s Taphouse. Please bring stories and memories of Trevor. Tip up a glass and help share the life of an incredible, remarkable man.

Posted in: Daily News-Miner

Posted on: 2017-01-30

Link to original obituary: