Dear CAA Officers/Directors and Citadel Club Presidents,
This letter is a reminder of what needs to be accomplished in order for your local Citadel Club to receive the Gold Star Award at the CAA Annual Meeting - Homecoming 2013. Our goal is to keep the process as simple as possible, while ensuring that each club meets the standard set forth by The Citadel Alumni Association (CAA) Board of Directors. Last year, these requirements were mailed to each club president and the requirements are outlined below.
Once you have completed your annual report, you will need to submit it to the District Director representing your club's area for endorsement. The period covered in this report should be from Homecoming 2012 through Homecoming 2013. Events planned between the date the report is submitted and Homecoming 2013 may also be included in this report.
After your District Director has reviewed and endorsed your club's annual report, it should then be forwarded to The Citadel Alumni Association, Attention: Peter Calogrides, Assistant Director of Alumni Affairs. To ensure timely delivery of your report, I would ask that you please submit your reports to District Directors no later than August 29th. District Directors are to have the endorsed reports to The Citadel Alumni Association no later than September 11th in order for them to be considered for Gold Stars.
This report must include the following minimum requirements in order to receive the endorsement of a District Directors and be considered for the Gold Star Award:
- Ensure that the club is registered with The Citadel Alumni Association and that a list of officers has been provided. This information should be provided to The Citadel Alumni Association office by mail, fax: 843-953-4812, or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible and should be included in your report. All club officers listed in the report must be CAA members. Only two officers need to be in the report.
- Provide The Citadel Alumni Association with a contact point to be published in each issue of the Alumni News, including the preferred phone number and email address to be published. The contact usually is the club president but could be someone else, such as the person in charge of membership. Check the most recent issue of the Alumni News to ensure that the information for your club is up to date, and if it is not, please provide me with an update.
- Include in your report, details of the annual Citadel Corps Day Muster held in March 2011. This should include the date of the Muster, place held, number of alumni and guests that attended, as well as a brief description of the events held. The Muster must: be held in March on or about the 20th if possible, and in accordance with the Muster Planning Guide (located on the CAA website).
- Ensure that your club has appointed someone to represent The Citadel Volunteers. The name and contact information should be provided to The Citadel Volunteers Committee through the chairman, Mr. Jim Borden '65, at (813) 653-3965 or email: JBorden65@aol.com. Outline in your report the highlights of your Citadel Volunteers recruiting efforts.
- In your report, include details of at least one event held by your club that involves "local area" cadets. For example, end of the summer picnics or freshmen send-off parties fulfill this requirement.
- Report on at least one fundraising event or support given to a cadet team or club event held during this time frame. Many clubs have established a local scholarship fund under The Citadel Foundation, hosted a visiting athletic team dinner, hosted the Summerall Guards, etc.
- In addition to reporting on the events listed above, include and explain in detail at least two other events your club sponsored during the year.
- Appoint a Citadel Family Association liaison. The combination of alumni clubs and the Citadel Family Association becomes a powerful tool in recruiting excellent students to enter The Citadel. For Citadel Family Association contact information, please visit: http://www.citadel.edu/cfa/contact.html
- Finally, submit to your District Director your annual report outlining the accomplishments of the above requirements and highlighting other club activities of the year. Please keep in mind that the more detailed and numerous your events are, the better chance your club has to be considered for "Club of the Year".
In closing, it is your responsibility to ensure that that this annual report is received and endorsed by your District Director and arrives at The Citadel Alumni Association no later than 11 September 2013.
Should I or any other member of The Citadel Alumni Association staff be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Peter J. Calogrides, '05
Assistant Director of Alumni Affairs